Apartment Therapy's the kitchn had a blog post about making your dishwasher run better. I thought I'd share the tips with you as I've never thought of most of these things.
1. Run an empty dishwasher with vinegar
2. Scrape your dishes before putting into dishwasher (we do this one)
3. Run the hot water in the kitchen sink before starting the dishwasher
4. Check your water heater's temperature
5. Use the right cycle
6. Don't double up on rinse aid
7. Test your water for hard water (we have THE hardest water)
8. Don't overcrowd the dishes
9. Clean the traps (I had no idea there were traps to clean)
10. Clean your seals
This is just another thing to add to my Christmas break list. If you'd like to read more details about it check this post.